In this article, we will take a look at how to select the best pizza stone for grill and ovens and also how to use it effectively. But first, let us see what exactly is a pizza stone or a baking stone. It is a thick and flat piece of natural stone surface which we use for baking. Its shape can be round, square or even rectangular and its functioning is quite simple as well. Below we will mention some tips on the most effective way to use a pizza stone.
- Preheat the pizza stone properly
Try not to make any haste during the preheating stage which will help to ensure that the stone is properly heated while preparing your favorite crispy crust. According to the experts, the preheating time should vary between 30 minutes and 1 hour depending on the situation. In fact, a half inch thick stone will require a minimum of 30 minutes of preheating time while it can even be as much as 1 hour for a 1 inch stone.
- Always put the pizza stone in a cold oven
In case you put a cold pizza stone in a hot oven, there is a huge possibility for it to break since it will not be able to endure the abrupt change in temperature. Consequently, you are advised to place the baking stone inside a cold oven prior to turning it on. This will help to avoid any thermal shock and also any possible breakage.
- Season with oil on a regular basis
It is not at all difficult to learn how to season a pizza stone. Make it a point to rub some olive oil on the stone surface on a regular basis which will help to prevent any dough-based object from sticking on its surface. Try not to leave any surplus oil on the stone’s surface since it might make the stone smoke while you heat it up afterward. Otherwise, you might even consider sprinkling some breadcrumbs or rice flour on the stone’s surface as well.
Next, we will point out some tips on how to pick the best pizza stone for grill and ovens.
- At first, it is essential to ensure that the stone you’re going for will fit your oven. You can do this by measuring the dimensions of the oven cavity.
- In case you own a natural gas oven, bear in mind to allow a minimum of 1 inch on every side of the pizza stone which will help in proper air circulation.
- Besides all these, you are recommended to opt for a thicker pizza stone (approximately 1 inch thick) so as to make sure that your pizza or bread is crispy and also evenly cooked. In fact, a thicker stone will aid in absorbing the heat properly and the distribution of the heat will also be much better to the food such that it is baked uniformly.
It is important to take note of the fact that the best pizza stone for grill and ovens is produced from a natural material having absorbent properties. Beware of imitations on the market since you will come across many advertised “baking stones” which are almost similar to the pizza pans and are made to appear like a stone.