There are several teeth whitening products, such as whitening toothpaste, strips, gels, and trays. If you plan to get teeth whitening done, you should also know about the cases where whitening is unsuccessful or not recommended. In this post, we will discuss instances in which East Village teeth whitening is not successful.
- Age and pregnancy: The pulp gets enlarged until 16 years of age. So doctors do not recommend teeth whitening below 16 as it can irritate the nerves of the tooth. He does not recommend it for lactating or pregnant women as well.
- Allergies or sensitivity: If you have defective teeth restorations, receding gums, or sensitive teeth and gums, consult your dentist before using teeth whitening products. Also, if you are allergic to peroxide (the whitening agent), you should not use bleaching products.
- Gum disease, cavities, worn enamel, or exposed roots: Decayed teeth should be treated first before the whitening procedure because if these products penetrate the tooth structure, it can cause sensitivity. The whitening process is not adequate for exposed roots because the enamel is absent in the roots. If you have gum disease or worn enamel, your doctor might discourage you from undergoing the treatment.
- Fillings, restorations, and crowns: If you have fillings/crowns in your mouth, whitening agents will not change the color of these fillings or crowns. As a result, the natural teeth will appear whiter than the teeth with restorations creating a mismatch.
- Smokers: If you smoke, you need to understand that your teeth won’t remain white if you continue to smoke even after the whitening procedure. You need to quit smoking if you want good long-lasting results.
- Unrealistic expectations: If you think you will get a drastic color change, you are wrong.
- Dark stains: The effect of the bleaching agent is better in yellowish teeth than brown to grey teeth. Tetracycline staining requires six months of home treatment and multiple in-office sittings.
How long does the whitening effect remain?
It will help if you keep in mind that the whitening treatments are not permanent. When you drink a lot of beverages, your color may fade in less than one month.
Though whitening treatment is a cosmetic procedure, doctors won’t recommend the procedure for all. Consult your dentist to analyze whether this treatment will be successful in your case and choose a home-based or in-office teeth whitening.